Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cranbury



1 November

I can't remember the last time I went on a ride out of Cranbury. I think I went once this year. I used to go nearly every week, but I got burned out on it and sick of the Clarksburg Deli. Cheryl re-named it Le Chateau. Chris embellished it to Le Chateau de Ptomaine.

The Clarksburg Inn, around the corner, burnt down recently. If it was arson they hit the wrong place. On the other hand, if the deli were to burn it'd become a Superfund site. Probably should be already.

Nowadays if I show up when Larry is leading he makes a point not to stop at the Clarksburg Deli. Today, knowing in advance I'd be on the ride, Larry did us one better by taking us on a three-mile detour so that we wouldn't even have to look at the place.

Poor Larry. He was looking for fall color and found nothing of interest. So when we passed the horse farm on our way back from Hornerstown I stopped for pictures at the top of the hill.


He was at the bottom framing more.




It was one of those days that starts out cloudy, stays cloudy, gets windier, and never really warms up. We were almost home when we passed a swale full of duckweed and cattails. Larry said, "You should put Kermit in there and take a picture."

"Only if he's holding a banjo and singing 'The Rainbow Connection.' In a swamp."

"How does that song go?"

I sang the first verse, which isn't easy in any case, so imagine trying to blurt it out while pushing against a headwind. "That's all I can remember."

When we got back to the car I looked it up on my phone and showed him the lyrics. I was going to paste them in here, but why do that when we can get Kermit himself.

So, without further ado, Kermit the Frog,from the opening scene of the Muppet Movie:

No comments: