Sunday, February 7, 2010

Giant Plastic Flip-Flops


7 February 2010

I went snowshoeing for the first time today. Mike lent me Theresa's snowshoes and we drove to Clayton Park. The first thing I did after I got the shoes on was fall down.

Neither of us knows the trails very well. I'm used to following Chris blindly as we mountain bike through the forest. The park is small enough that we always find ourselves back at the trailhead, although I never can figure out how, without ever turning around, we've ended up doubling back on ourselves.

Anyway, here's Clayton Park under about six inches of snow. Enjoy.


Looks like I got some glove in the lower left corner:

Stopping for pictures helps you find your way back. When scenery starts looking familiar you know you're on the right trail:

If not for this shot on the way out I'd never have seen this crooked tree on the way back:

The snowy lump in the stream was another clue:



Why are my telephoto shots always blurry?





This is, for Mike's and my money, the toughest mountain bike climb in the park. On snowshoes it's easy:

OK, Chris. We smashed down the snow for you. You can take your MTB to Clayton now.

*****

A propos to nothing, here are some views of the Hopewell valley from Crusher Road. These pictures were taken on January 23:



Whoops. This is what happens when you take pictures with your gloves on: you hit the shutter by accident. Oh well. At least it's in focus.

No comments: