Thursday, August 29, 2019

Long Way Home

Hidden Spring Lavender Farm, Montgomery, NJ

29 August 2019

This summer's Sunday routine consists of getting up at the ass-crack of dawn to ride from home to Plain Jim's start at 6 Mile Run. Being the last weekend of the month, this past Sunday's ride was listed as C+. It would bring a less aggressive crowd, which, after yesterday's hills, was what I'd need.

The weather was as perfect as Saturday. This time I had a headwind all the way to Blackwells Mills. It slowed me down by a good mile per hour. I arrived with a handful of minutes to spare.

Jim took us to Boro Bean without climbing more than one or two annoying little bumps. I stopped on Route 601, at the Hidden Spring Lavender Farm, for a few pictures.




Boro Bean was strangely empty for such a beautiful day. It's the end of summer. People must be away.

I always leave the group here and head for home by climbing out of the valley on Carter Road. This time, though, Jim lead the group west instead of east. I followed along until they turned north onto a side street. I figured I'd continue west until Crusher and get back to Carter that way.

But the tailwind pushed me Pigward, past Crusher, all the way to Pennington. At the bottom of Wargo Road I stopped for a picture of Honey Brook Organic Farm. We pass through here regularly yet I've never bothered to get a shot of it.



I stopped again on Pennington-Rocky Hill Road, at Kerr's Korn Stand.



The Pig was emptier than usual too. I bought a couple of cookies to take home. They're big enough that Jack and I split them, one at a time, doling them out carefully during the week.

Jim, jealous that I went to the Pig, will lead his next Sunday ride Pigward. I've already registered.

No comments: