Thursday, September 24, 2020

Strange Trip Part Three: Never the Same Sand Bar

The Town of Bar Harbor on a Sunday morning

13 September 2020

Jack doesn't want to come with me to play on the sand bar. He's trying to relax in the hotel room. The sidewalks are relatively empty at the moment. I pass another free mask mailbox.


The tide is still going out.




 

Halfway across the sand bar there appears to be a crowd of people. We're all learning that crowds look bigger when photographed from a distance. Still, I'm hanging back for a while.


All those people are aiming for the trail on Bar Island. I'll stay on the sand bar this time. There's a tight spot where the water has only recently receded. Everyone is taking turns stepping across. That's why it looked so crowded from far away.



It's never the same sand bar twice. Sure, the big rocks don't go away. But the light is always different, and there's never a shortage of snails, barnacles, and seaweed to keep my camera busy.











Here's an abandoned crab carapace.


Here's an abandoned lobster trap. If it were in use, there'd be a line and a float attached to it.


Now the narrow bit is wider.


Cormorants rest on a floating dock, with the tip of Bar Island and Sheep Porcupine Island in the background.



Sheep Porcupine Island:


The harbor of Bar Harbor, with the four-masted Margaret Todd and the two-masted Bailey Louise Todd in their berths:





Here's my artsy photograph of the day:








When the tide is going out I can crunch along the rocks to follow it.




I photographed this rock two years ago and last year. It's looking less and less like a fellow with an overgrown moustache.







And now, here's your moment of Zen:




With the tide out, the beach (as it were) in front of the Harbor Club is exposed. I've never walked over there. I'm going to head that way now.




On the beach, a young gull works his way through a crab.




Bar Island (left) and Sheep Porcupine Island (right):




Bits of brick are scattered along the shore. There are no brick buildings around at the moment.



I walk up the short flight of steps leading from the beach to the Harbor Club parking lot. I'm pretty sure I'm not wealthy enough to be here.


Back at the harbor, I take more pictures of flowers and boats.











No comments: