Saturday, July 15, 2023

A Short Post About Two Rides

Washington Crossing Sunset

15 July 2023

Let's see if I can write a blog post in ten minutes. It's 10:52 p.m. Go!

I rode with the Premeds again on Wednesday. My back wasn't completely pain-free, but after a series of long hangs on my inversion table, I figured I'd be OK. Our Jeff shortened the ride from 36 miles to 33 and took out some of the big hills because of the heat.

To make sure I wouldn't do anything stupid -- besides showing up at all, of course -- I volunteered to sweep. It was peaceful back there. I got to have actual conversations. I was much more relaxed than I usually am on these rides. The reduced elevation gain and my growing familiarity with the roads helped.

We got back in time to catch the sun as it moved behind some clouds.





After dinner at It's Nutts, I pulled out my good camera and took pictures of the spiders hanging around the outdoor seating area. There were a lot of them, and they all appeared to be the same species, Larinioides cornutus:


Heddy helped by using her phone for light. Ken G and Our Jeff didn't run away, and even asked questions. I'll convert them yet.

Today's heat index hit 100 degrees, but that didn't stop Tom from listing a flat ride out of Bordentown. It looked to be a fast group. We stuck together for the first half, stopping to look at the Delaware River in Burlington.

I took some pictures of the Burlington-Bristol bridge:



And one of the underwater plant life growing at the river's edge:


I was standing behind the giant eagle, so this is the photo I took:


Our rest stop was at the Olde World Bakery in Smithville. I was absolutely dripping with sweat. My back was starting to hurt. I'd already emptied my 28-ounce bottle, which I'd filled with electrolytes. I noticed how much water I was drinking at the rest stop. It worried me. I knew I must be dehydrated.

I was fine for the next ten miles or so, save for my back. 

On White Pine Road, a rooster called: "Cock-a-doodle-doo!"

Jim said, "Oh, shut up!"

Then Luis told me to find him some shade. I obliged by knowing that the second half of White Pine is in the woods.

We hit mile 40, the heat was way up, and I was losing power. I wanted to stop to stretch my back. All that takes is me standing with my back arched. I can do it in less than thirty seconds. But the riders up front were rounding corners without stopping. I was in the middle or near the back. I had no time.

Half of the group had gone off the front, but a few were waiting under the trees on Ellisdale Road. "Let the fat chick stretch her back," I begged. It was enough to stop that pain, but now I could feel my right leg about to cramp in two places. We had 4.5 miles to go.

Somehow I made it. I felt nauseated. I almost had chills. I was almost cramping. I couldn't get my breathing rate down. I've been at this nonsense for 23 years, but every once in a while I still get my hydration wrong. It happens. My weight this morning should have tipped me off, but by then it would have been too late anyway.

After sitting in my car for a few minutes, I had enough energy to put my sneakers on and lift Kermit into the car. I let the air conditioner blast into my face for the entire ride home. I felt better after a while and a nap.

I'm okay now. It's going to rain tomorrow, for real this time. I'm taking the day off.




11:12. That's 20 minutes. Still short compared to how long it usually takes.

No comments: