Saturday, March 8, 2008

Guest Blogging: Joe Miller's War Story

23 February 2008

I've been inspired by Laura's Hill Slug Chronicles to write something about my ride this past Thursday.

I took Edie to a nurse's training course in King of Prussia, PA. It's about a 50 minute trip, so I had already decided to find something to do in the area rather than spend most of the day round-tripping. Valley Forge is almost adjacent, and I thought of the Perkiomen bike trail nearby, which I have not yet ridden.

It was 23F at 9:30 when I parked at the lot. In comparison, it was 65F on Monday. I rode that day also. It was warmer. However, I'm prepared with 4 layers and the ubiquitous chemical toe warmers. Hey, I've ridden in colder than this - once.

I'm expecting the cold fingers I experience at the start, but not prepared for the icy winds biting into my knees. I have to look down several times to insure I did indeed wear tights over my shorts. I consider abandoning after five minutes, but figure I can handle it a bit longer. As always happens, I don't remember when I started to feel warmer, but at some point I realize my legs stopped hurting. My core was never cold, and my toes are just fine. Better living through chemistry.

The first part of the path is paved, which is not much help when you want to go slow. Not that that would avoid the wind chill, as it is a brisk headwind. After a couple of miles, the path turns to dirt. You might think at those temps that all would be frozen, but the first 100 or so yards are wet. No problemo, I put the plastic fenders on the mtn. bike a few weeks back. I can see the mud on the bottom bracket, but I know I will stay dry.

The path follows the Perkiomen creek for much of the way, and provides some nice views. Now that I feel comfortable, I begin to relax & enjoy. This was a good idea. At places the trail is elevated, and its easy to imagine its railroad origins. At times, civilization intrudes, and I hit a cross street, or ride next to a road a bit. I finally come to a stop light in a small town, and it takes a minute to figure where the trail picks up. Oh yeah, duh - there's the well marked trail sign across the street and a bit to the right. The second time that happens, I am in Collegeville. I estimate I can ride another 10 minutes before turning around - that will give me enough time to meet Edie for lunch.

The last part of the path before the turnaround is the wettest. It's about here that I begin to have problems shifting, Not that this flat trail requires much shifting. I get a good idea - no need to stop. I just remove my toe from the pedal & tap it against the rear derailler a few times. Can't understand why that doesn't help much. Eventually, I manage to shift, but it's slow responding.

The way back is much quicker and warmer with the tail wind. I stop & remove the shell so as not to start sweating. I plan on cleaning the mud off the bike before putting it in the car, since I'll have enough time.

When I get back I change in the car - it's nice & warm in the sun. Then I take a rag to the bike. There's a round ball about 1.5 inches across between the chainstays in front of the back tire. I realize it must be ice, but how'd it form and what's keeping it there? Turns out it's attached to the chain stay bridge. I just break it off. The bottom bracket is tougher. I can't seem to remove it. I grab a wrench from the car & whack it a few. Then whack it a few more. This won't hurt the paint any, right? The ice finally begins to break off. There's much more than I thought. Could these large pieces actually have accumulated on such a small part of the bike? And somehow the cables threaded right through small holes in the ice. I'm amazed I could shift at all. So how did the dirt trail manage to remain unfrozen, is it bike freezes before road surface? The famous hot springs of Perkiomen.

I haven't done much mountain biking in recent past. In the dim past, I seem to recall sometimes having shifting problems after crossing small streams in below freezing weather, but never did I accumulate ice like that.

In retrospect, if I ever decide to ride in weather that cold again, I would 1. wear my winter tights with the nylon wind front, 2. bring chemical hand warmers, and 3. bring along an ice pick.

No comments: