Saturday, November 7, 2009

Miscellany


7 November

I have a load of miscellaneous pictures I might as well post.

The first three are of the lake at Thompson Park in Jamesburg, around 7:30 a.m. on October 4, approximately twelve hours after we landed back in the U.S. and approximately five minutes before we started the Pumpkin Patch Pedal century:


A duck, hidden by the tree, is making the wake:



If I were to have had jet lag the way most people do I'd just have been tired. But no, I have to be different. I get nauseated instead. So I pedaled from mile 44 to mile 80 feeling as if I were about to hurl. This wasn't at all helped by the dead guy around mile 35. He'd just collapsed off his bike and was lying in the road when we got there. 911 had already been called, a nurse cyclist was about to go to work on him, and there were about twenty people milling about already, so we moved out of the way. We found out later that they never got a pulse on the guy after twenty minutes of CPR and three rounds of defibrillator shocks. So bitching about a bit of queasiness was a little out of order. Big Joe, Little Joe, and Mighty Mike decided to pull me back after the last rest stop at mile 80, but by then I was feeling better.

On October 11 I snapped this one on Hoffman's Crossing Road near Califon, NJ. For more about that ride, read Tom's blog entry.



When we got to Califon I took a picture of the (groan) Raritan River:


Burnaby (left) and Cleio (who will be 20.5 years old in nine days) enloafed on a sofa:


How about a sunset from the train as we were pulling into Trenton on October 22? A storm front was moving in.



About half an hour later I was picking up my share of veggies from the Cherry Grove Farm CSA. The sunset was working well with the clouds, and the moon was out.







Fall colors in Burlington County on October 25:



Smithville Lake, on the same ride:


On the train ride from Trenton to Philly we pass a landfill just outside of Levittown, PA. Someday I want to get there at sunrise and photograph the trucks in silhouette on top of the landfill, but for now a few shots as the train whizzes by will have to do. The first of these three is a complete blur but I sort of like it anyway.




Today we rode to Lambertville. On Gulick Road we saw lots of cows.




Wow. We're now officially caught up.

I might have to take a short break from blogging so I can finish the Sierra Club work I'm supposed to be doing and get jewelry made, photographed, and online before Black Friday. Yeah, right.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sorry I missed the ride. Who showed up??

The cows must have been cold.

Dale Katherine Ireland said...

I enjoyed the read and all the pictures. Thank you!

John Smolenyak said...

you still have to post pix and blog about a certain switch back road