Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Conversation

29 August 2010



Scene: The Wawa on 579 outside of New Egypt:

Herb cracks a joke. Chris laughs.

Herb: Boy, she is really out of it today.

Me: Wait, what? I didn't hear you.

Herb: You're not your usual, bubbly self.

Me: I just had some coffee. Maybe I'll bubble.


Scene: Half an hour later, on a tree-lined road heading north:

Me: Y'know, I've been called lots of things, but "bubbly" isn't one of them.

Herb: Yeah, "bubbly" wasn't the word I was looking for. "Ebullient, maybe?"

Me: Naaah.

Herb: "Upbeat!" That's the word I was looking for.

Chris: Herb, if you want to know her personality, just look at her jersey.

[Laura's jersey is sporting a frog.]

Me: "Amphibious?" Chris, are you saying I'm amphibious?

Chris: Your bike frame!

Me [thinking]: Psychedelic?

Herb has already stopped listening.

No comments: