Sunday, February 27, 2011

Towards the End of Winter

Burnaby waits for spring in a warm place.



27 February 2011

**********

First things first:

On September 10 we will hold the Ride for McBride, in honor of Big Joe, with proceeds going towards a scholarship for a Masters of Social Work student at Penn, where Joe taught for many years.

The ride will start from Tall Cedars on Sawmill Road in the rural section of Hamilton (yes, there still is one). There will be a 25-mile and a 50-mile route, both with a rest stop in New Egypt.

We're still working out all the details, but you can be sure I'm going to mention it here again and again. If you'd like to donate as we ramp up, checks can be made out to "Ride for McBride Memorial Fund" and mailed to 2161 Pennington Road, Ewing, NJ 08638.

Meanwhile, if you're into Spinning, there will be a Spin for McBride on April 16, from 11:30 to 1:00 p.m. at PEAC in Ewing. Admission, $25, is your donation towards the scholarship.

**********

A few weeks ago, as the roads began to clear, we still had snow on the ground.

Princeton University made a valiant attempt at clearing walkways, but at what price?

We had a huge icicle by our front door. I documented its growth:


Judy McBride had some good ones on her back porch. We were there for our first Ride for McBride organizational meeting:

The ice storm on February 11 was a nuisance, but it sure was purty. Here are the maple trees between the Schultz and Lewis Thomas laboratories on Princeton's campus:





(Did I mention these trees before? In October they were bright red, which prompted my boss to comment on them to me. I don't remember what he said, but whatever it was, I remember saying, "Penn has trees.")

I gathered a few Hill Slugs together on February 13 for our first road ride of the year. The streets were clear but there was snow everywhere else, even on the Dinosaur Hill dinosaur:


The cows at the top of Mount Airy found some clear ground:

Mighty Mike said, "Can you take my picture? I want to send this to my mom. She won't believe I'm doing this."

As we headed towards home on Rocktown Road, I took my last few snapshots of winter:


3 comments:

Plain_Jim said...

1. I'm too dratted lazy right now to post a check to the McBride Ride; would youse consider a PayPal account? (I do intend to attend, so I'll save the date; would any initial donation count towards the ride fee/donation?)
2. Good to see you today, and I'm looking forward to more rides - but my wife reminds me that we have a prior engagement 3/5/11. She, however, is working 3/12, and I am not, lazy slug that I am. Would the Slugs be assembling that Saturday?

Our Lady of Perpetual Headwinds said...

Hey, Plain.

1. We've just begun the charity, so at the moment we don't have PayPal set up. I can ask, though, and let you know.

2. I'll be up in north Jersey visiting friends on the 12th; the next Hill Slugs ride in March after the 5th will be the 26th.

Plain_Jim said...

Change in plans; we're leaving later than I thought. I'll look here for start location & info; please don't be horrified if I show up for the Slugride on 3/5/11.