Wednesday, November 9, 2011

No MTB for Me

9 November 2011

Oh well.  It was fun while it lasted.  But, considering it's been two winter seasons since I last spent a morning falling off my mountain bike in the ice and snow in the woods of one NJ park or another, I can't say that I'll miss it all that much.

Here's the deal:  Sports medicine doctors know we like to run around being tough on our bodies.  If we tell a sports medicine doctor, "It hurts when I do this," the doctor will figure out a way that we can "do this" without the hurt.  So if even a sports medicine doctor says, "Then don't do this," we should listen.

Last December, when the doctor and the physical therapist were looking at the MRI of my L5-S1 herniation, the PT said, "Wow.  I'm amazed at your mobility.  Usually people with herniations this bad can't even walk."  Today, when I asked the doctor about the possibility of mountain biking this winter, he spent about five minutes telling me, "No."

The D&R Canal towpath spans 70 miles.   Hello, towpath.  Bleah.

3 comments:

Plain_Jim said...

"The D&R Canal towpath spans 70 miles. Hello, towpath. Bleah."

Enlighten an ignorant acquaintance: does that mean that riding the towpath doesn't count as mountain biking, and that the towpath is, uh, boring?

Our Lady of Perpetual Headwinds said...

Um, well, yeah. Kinda. I mean, it ain't mountain biking unless I come home bruised.

Plain_Jim said...

"I mean, it ain't mountain biking unless I come home bruised."

Oh. Odd; that has no attraction for me. I went through enough of that in my several dating relationships and my first marriage; I no longer see the need to seek out those experiences. Ahem.