Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Adirondacks 2012 Part 3: More Photos

I never saw this chicken.
(photo by Don G.)

17 July 2012

In my haste to put the Adirondack pictures up, I left out all the ones I'd taken with my cell phone.

First is a rustic bed frame for sale in North Creek, fashioned in traditional Adirondack style.  Yuck.  I mean, do I really need to be poking my eyes out with antlers every time I sit up?


Feeling restless and having eaten too much after a day of doing nothing, Jeff, Marilyn, and I went for a walk after dinner.  Jeff had seen a dirt road leading into the woods from the driveway.  I charged up it, Jeff behind me, Marilyn reluctantly waiting by the road.

It didn't lead anywhere exciting.  We found ourselves in the septic leach field for the Gore Village condos.


Nevertheless, Jeff was King of the Mountain.



We told Marilyn she didn't miss much, which she agreed with when I showed her the pictures.  We continued down the driveway and across the street.  We knew the Hudson was somewhere close to the road.  Marilyn wanted to find it.  Behind the gas station the land dipped down.  We followed a gravel road past a power transmission station. 

We were near water, but it wasn't the river.  It was a pond and we were probably trespassing.


Marilyn stood by the water and listened.

"Goonk!"

Frogs!

"Goonk!"






And pretty weeds.  And biting flies.  The only way to keep them off of us was to keep moving.

Wearing only sandals, Jeff was getting gravel between his toes.  The dirt road narrowed and sloped upward.  I turned around for this picture.


Looking forward, we could see a mountain.



It wasn't getting any closer.  Jeff finally convinced us to turn around.


The air was thick with flies and humidity.


To the south the sky was still blue.  To the north it threatened rain.  We made it back to the condos before the first shower.  Two deer flies managed to make a good meal of my right trapezius.  'Sallright.  I was on vacation.  I wasn't using it anyway.


Here's one more picture of the Flower House.  I used my cell phone for this one so that I could email it to Kevin.  He collects pictures of doors.


The day after our hike, as we were wandering the Adirondack Museum, we came across this early map of the region.

I told Jeff that he needs to take us there next year.

OK.  So now we have to go back in time to my first trip to North Creek.  We took a bike ride and got a little rained on.  I had my camera, but I was, apparently, the only one who didn't see the Giant Chicken across Route 8.

The following year we passed it again, supposedly.  I didn't see it.  I began to have my doubts.

Last year our ride got rained out.  No Giant Chicken.

This year we took a shorter route. If there was a Giant Chicken along the way, I never saw it.

But.

As we were returning from the Adirondack Museum, we passed Don when we pulled into the driveway.  He beckoned us to stop so that he could show me something.


In the course of running errands, Don had found himself on Route 8.  He got out of his car and took these pictures just to prove to me that there is, indeed, a Giant Chicken of the Adirondacks.  Thanks, Don.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

The mystery of the Giant Chicken has been solved. Way to go Don!

Plain_Jim said...

"Here's one more picture of the Flower House. I used my cell phone for this one so that I could email it to Kevin. He collects pictures of doors."

... as you now collect pictures of privies?

JimB