Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Recipe for Jet Fuel and a Grimy Bike

13 January 2013

This blog post will demonstrate that even when I've got nothing, I can still turn it into too many words.

Damp winter roads are the reason I got Gonzo, my beater bike.  But Gonzo, now serving as my commuter bike, is laden with a rack and lights.  I just haven't had the foresight to strip him of these excesses until the days get long enough to bike to work again.  So I've been taking Kermit out to Cranbury.

Lately it hasn't seemed possible to ride with Winter Larry and not return with a bike full of road splut.  Today was no exception, but cleaner than the last few.

The early morning fog had dissipated by the time nine of us headed out towards Turkey Swamp.  I didn't do a lick of exercise yesterday, and I've recovered from whatever it was I had last weekend.  This helped me keep within a reasonable distance of some of the faster guys, especially after the break, because I drank some Jet Fuel.

Jet Fuel (recipe by Winter Grime Larry), available only at low-end convenience stores:

40% coffee, caffeinated, the lower-quality the better

40% hot chocolate, from a machine that delivers a dubious assortment of hot drinks

20% milk, poured from a carton that has been sitting in a metal tin for an unknown amount of time

Although I had fun on today's ride, I didn't take any pictures and there's not much of a story.  I blame this on Ed and Jim, neither of whom were there to supply me with blog fodder.

There was one noteworthy exchange, in the parking lot, before we got started:

Winter Grime Larry:  "Where's Simple Jim?"

OLPH:  "Plain Jim?  He couldn't make it today."

Mark H:  "He has a life, Larry!"

Simple Jim!  Snort!  I'm sure he'll have fun with that.

1 comment:

Plain_Jim said...

1) Simple Jim. As in, "Tis A Gift To Be Simple"? Or as in, "Keep it simple for Jim; use short words, basic concepts, and only one idea at a time?"

Hrmph.

2) Mark's right; I do have a life; we dropped in on my ailing father-in-law today. He's improving, and I was glad to see him... but I'd still rather have been grinding out the miles with youse-all. Even after yesterday's hard ride (this time, the one at the back would probably have been me!).

3) Rocket fuel. It's definitely a cold-weather blend. We'll need to come up with a summer formulation, too. (Sounds effective, though).