Saturday, January 11, 2014

London Again

11 January 2014

I'm blogging to stay awake.  Today I arrived in London.  Jack was in Oxford all last week.  Despite the flooding that shut down most rail service to London, he managed to get a bus into the city without a reservation.  He got to the London hotel before I did because I dallied over a bowl of coffee while I finished blogging via iPhone.  The coffee didn't work, but the upload did.

Jack texted that the room -- in a luxury hotel that we found at less than half the going rate -- was something to behold.  Well, now that I work in a glass mansion, I should expect luxury.  Right...


Right.  The room has a balcony that overlooks Hyde Park.  We're in Mayfair, so it's no surprise that we found a pen shop.  Tradition dictates that we have to go in.


Our plan was to see an exhibit at the British Library.  Most of the time we walk, with the understanding that if we see something interesting we'll stop, and that if we never reach our destination, so be it.  That's what happened today.  We found ourselves at the Burlington Archway.  I recognized it only because a scene from the Fry/Laurie Jeeves and Wooster series was filmed here (the one about the cow creamer).



At both ends of the arch are iron gates guarded by top-hatted beadles who ensure that nobody brings in a soggy umbrella or an oversized bag (this according to The London Compendium, a book Jack picked up today).

Regent Street by night:


Harrod's, a department store, sells sports cars.


They also display anatomically correct horses in their windows,


 so, ouch:


 Urban art at one corner of Hyde Park.  Weirdhenge.


Trees cast shadows from the streetlights:



Okay, it's almost 11:00 p.m.  If I can stay awake just a little longer...

No comments: