Saturday, August 29, 2015

Gonzo's Day Out

Tom's Insane Bike Posse Bursting Forth from the Assunpink

29 July 2015

Today Tom got the Insane Bike Posse, and then some, together for a slow, flat ride. It was fun, it was social, and many of us brought our heavy bikes.

Joe was on a teal-colored Heron outfitted with fenders and a rear rack. Dave had an old Bianchi with gears enough for only the shallowest of overpasses. Cheryl, still with us from Florida, was on Seabiscuit, an old Cannondale that used to belong to John P. Jim brought the Krakow Monster, of course. And I was taking Gonzo out for his longest ride in over five years, riding from home to meet the crowd at Mercer County Park.

Despite having the bike looked over by a master wheel builder and by an expert wrench, I harbored a real fear that the rear wheel would explode, spewing nipple shrapnel and impaling spokes onto whomever was riding near me. When I voiced my concerns, Jim and Jack H were the ones within range. They were brave enough not to give me a wider berth.

We stopped at Roy's; Tom hadn't been there yet.  For the first time in a long, long time, there was a full compliment of Slugs to share Laura's bottom.

At the end of the ride, I suggested that Jim take a picture of Gonzo.  After all, he did help me put it together.  "Plus," he said, "Any bike I touch, I feel responsible for."

"Can you touch mine?" Marc asked?


I wasn't posing for this one. Honest.

I'm happy to report that Gonzo went 62 miles and came back with everything in its proper position. Tom didn't break anyone either.

No comments: