Sunday, October 4, 2015

Driving Home with 1.5 Eyes

4 October 2015

Healing from a corneal abrasion is very slow at first.  Then things seem to improve by the hour. After that it's another week of slowly fading edema.

I've been through this enough times to know exactly where I am on the curve. Today's drive home happened during the rapid improvement phase.  I wouldn't have attempted the trip otherwise.

We listened to music and podcasts, and I stopped every hour and a half or so to walk around and reset my vision.  We took a long lunch break at a restaurant off one of the PA highways (we went through so many I lost track). When we reached Route 78, I was in home territory, and the last hour flew by.

Tomorrow I see my eye doctor.  She'll remove the contact patch and check my vision.  Until I get my left eye back, I'm not going to be on the bike.  I need my left peripheral vision for my rear-view mirror. I'm optimistic that by Saturday I'll be fine.

1 comment:

Plain_Jim said...

I'm going to be looking for goggles for you. Brass, steampunky ones, for choice.