Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Last of the Autumn Leaves


 East Mountain Road

8 November 2015

Winter Larry took us to Hillsborough today, where he gave us the option of climbing Dutchtown-Zion. I'd rather not have climbed Dutchtown-Zion, but I have a reputation to protect.  I grumbled about the guys whipping theirs out to see whose was biggest. I proved, once again, that mine is the smallest.

The fall colors are almost gone. I stopped on East Mountain Road to catch the last of the leaves on the Sourland Mountain.


In yesterday's post, I forgot to mention the funniest thing that happened on the ride:

We were on our way back, somewhere on River Road or one of the South Branch Roads or something.  Ed, riding The Copperhead Love Child*, was next to Tom when a pile of leaves came into view.  Rather than pull behind Tom, Ed chose to ride straight through the pile.

I said, "Now we know the real reason Ed got this bike."

"To feel like I'm seven years old again?"

"Pull over.  There are leaves in your cassette."  And in his brakes, and in his spokes, and behind the rear wheel...

I'm sure it was worth it.



(*Copperhead is Winter Larry's contribution to Ed's bike naming conundrum.  Today, Ed put it all together as the The Copperhead Love Child, which has a good flow to it.  We await the final judgment from his daughters.)

No comments: