Sunday, January 31, 2016

Why I Don't Take Pictures on Cranbury Rides

 Lake Manalapan, Thompson Park, Jamesburg

31 January 2016

Winter Larry told me to bring my camera. Jim and I met in Plainsboro for extra miles. He was on the Krakow Monster, now laden with fenders and a pannier. I'd swapped wheels on Gonzo, who was now outfitted with Beaker's cast-off prima donna racing wheels. I wanted to find out how much of the tank feel was coming from the wheels.  A lot, it turns out, but not all.  I'd forgotten to put the cycle computer back on; today would be a day free of distance and speed until the end, when I'd have to ask Jim's GPS how far we'd gone.

We were a small group: Larry, Rick, Peter, Marc, Jim, and me.

When we turned into Thompson Park and I saw that the lake was frozen over, I called out that I was stopping for a picture.

Ahead of us was a hill, and at the end of the hill, a short driveway that leads to Perrineville Road. Anyone who has dragged herself out of bed in the dark to get to the Pumpkin Patch Pedal before dawn knows this hill, because it's the one that leads off the 100-mile ride. "I'll meet you at the end," I said.


the picture that got me in trouble 

I was quick about it, and I could see riders on the long, curving hill ahead. When I got to the top, though, nobody was there. The road through the park continues past the driveway, and I followed it down a long, curving descent towards a playground.

I didn't see anyone there.

Maybe I missed a turn?

I doubled back up the hill to the driveway and turned south on Perrineville. Larry had told us that the rest stop would be at Le Chateau de Ptomaine; south was the reasonable turn to make. Still nobody. I went all the way to the next traffic light before I stopped and pulled out my phone. I was at Schoolhouse Road.

I called Jim first, then Marc, then Larry. Nobody picked up. As I was leaving Larry a message, Marc appeared. He was on his way home because he had to be somewhere in the afternoon.  "They're back at the lake, looking for you," he said.

He went on, and Jim called back. "We're at the lake," he said.  "Larry wants you to come back." Before I could pack up my phone and turn around, Jim called again. He put Larry on. I had new instructions. "Take Schoolhouse," he said. "We'll meet you at the end."

There was a surprise hill along the way, and I was certain I'd never been on this road before. I got to the end before the others did, putting a few more miles onto my trip than the others would have.

Jim arrived first. I told him I wasn't sure if I should apologize or complain. I told Larry, "Ride leaders are supposed to wait at the top of a hill, and they're supposed to keep their cell phones on."

"I didn't know that," he said, knowing that I'd know that he did know those things.

Larry had picked Clarksburg as the rest stop because he wanted to stay well away from shady roads and Old York's potholes. "They've renovated a little," he added.

That didn't stop me and Jim from pestering him to go to Roy's instead. We continued to pester him even as we pulled into the Chateau de Ptomaine parking lot.  From the outside, I could not see a difference.  The inside was the same as it has been for years.

Worse, even, because this time there was no running water in the bathroom. I had to wash my hands in the slop sink outside of the bathroom. There was no soap.

The people who work here handle food.

I bought coffee (boiled water) and a muffin (wrapped). It's been years since I've been to Le Chateau. It will be years before I return. I'd rather bounce over potholes and skid on ice than enter the Clarksburg General Store again.

I did stop for one more picture at Etra Lake at Milford Road. This time I made sure it was okay and that the group would wait. I was quick about it.


"Oh, you're taking a picture of the lake," somebody said. "I thought you were going to take a picture of us!"

"Okay," I replied, even though I rarely take pictures of people.

Larry, Peter, Rick, and Jim

In the end, despite the Thompson Park mishap, we got back with the right number of miles and on time. I'll probably keep the fancy wheels on Gonzo, at least until the next spoke breaks. They take the edge off of the effort needed to get the bike rolling. On the other hand, I don't like having to glance down at my rear wheel every few miles to make sure all the parts are where they should be.

3 comments:

John A. said...

First, I feel your pain with the 'Chateau de Ptomaine'.
It's been....yucky since the first day I saw it 15 years ago. As you say.

Award them points for a gross kind of consistency.

About the coffee...is it really boiled? My coffee makers don't get water to 212 degrees F.
Unless your saying they use boiled water to make the coffee.

What an odd place.
How is it that the powers that regulate this place, including the free market (i.e. customers) and real regulatory bodies (maybe none?) don't affect this place....

Our Lady of Perpetual Headwinds said...

Wishful thinking, I guess, about the water. As for the rest, I haven't a clue.

Plain_Jim said...

"How is it that the powers that regulate this place, including the free market (i.e. customers) and real regulatory bodies (maybe none?) don't affect this place...."

Hrmph. the "free market" depends on competition, and there ain't none. There's no similar place closer than Roy's, three-four miles away, and we didn't go there.