Saturday, January 14, 2017

MCP on Foot

Winter Sky Over Mercer Lake

14 January 2017

I was stuck on my screened-in back porch, with Gonzo, on the fluid trainer, during last week's snowstorm. There was just enough light left for a few pictures after the snow stopped.





Tom and Jack H invited me to an easy hike in Mercer County Park today. Never having been on the trails on foot, and not having been in the woods there in something like 8 years, I pushed my scheduled ride to Sunday and bundled up for a loop around Mercer Lake.

I haven't been on a hike in two years. The loop through the park almost doesn't count. It was enough, though, to unglue the soles of my 22-year-old boots halfway around the lake. Jack H had duct tape, and it held.



The trails we followed were ones I'd seen many times on my mountain bike. The places I remembered most, though, were the ones where I'd chickened out or fallen in memorable ways.

Stopping for pictures is easier on foot.

Mercer Lake on the western side of the park:


Near the dam is a small hill that looks a lot steeper from two wheels.



We ducked through a gap in the chain-link fence over the Assunpink River dam, the dam that created Mercer Lake.


On the other side, we headed east again.





We wound up crossing and skirting the golf course, and traipsing through the woods next to the green. The ground was littered with stray golf balls (I tossed a bright yellow one back onto the course), glass trash, and a crock pot.

While we were walking, Chris texted me, having seen our cars in the parking lot. He was on his mountain bike. He came across a rusty bike wedged in the crook of a tree and sent me these pictures:


I sent him a picture of my feet.


Some logs are scarred with gouges from mountain bike chain rings. Others are speckled with fungus.


Out of the woods again, we were behind the Caspersen Rowing Center, where the US Olympic rowing teams train.







One team was training on the lake. 



Beavers!


Deep in the woods is a foundation from a small house:


Bridge Zen is a cinch on foot.




View from the bridge by the East Picnic Area:


Behind the tennis center:


When we got back to our cars, Chris was in his truck. If he wasn't waiting for us, he sure made it look like he was.

Jack H is suggesting we go to Baldpate Mountain next weekend. I'll need new boots first, ones that don't have my feet sloshing around despite thick wool socks, that are lightweight, waterproof, sturdy, and willing to live in the closet most of the time. Because as soon as I can get back on the road with the Hill Slugs, I will.


No comments: