Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Runny Bunny Ride

Sheep and Goats, Bayberry Road

16 April 2017

Pete, Andrew, and Jeff turned out for Sunday's ride. As an official Not the Chocolate Bunny ride, it was uneventful, which is good, and hot, which is bad, because it melted the chocolates I was carrying.

Hot cross bunnies. What a mess.

They didn't melt right away, though. When we stopped to look at the sheep on Bayberry Road, I handed a few off to a couple of women out for a walk.



My usual routes from Pennington to Lambertville come in between 35 and 40 miles. I'd promised 50 this time. Squeezing in an extra 15 miles makes for a sinuous route, which is how we wound up on Bayberry in the first place.

Eventually, though, after all the noodling about, I put us on Alexauken Creek Road, a regular and a favorite.  Today the woods were awash in yellow flowers.


We all stopped on the narrow bridge at Mill Lane to take pictures.



Rojo's was pleasantly empty. We spent a long time there, talking about stuff that people over 50 talk about. I'll never look at Gatorade the same way again.

While we were inside, my bunnies were baking outside.  A few at the bottom hadn't melted. I hid them under my leftover snack and hoped for the best.

Our circuitous route home found us at Route 518 on Woodsville Road. When I said we were climbing New Road next, Andrew decided that now was a good a time as any to make the long trek back to his house. I gave him a few bunnies that were still semi-solid.

At the top of the hill were robbed of an easy flat and fast descent by the 20 mph headwind out of the west. In Pennington, Pete peeled off for home.

By now, I was feeling hot. The air was still dry, though, so it wasn't necessarily unpleasant. At the bottom of Lawrenceville-Pennington Road, Jeff turned off. In an attempt to hand him a pair of bunnies while we were both still moving, I managed to squish one and fill his fingers with molten chocolate.

A little farther on, I saw Sean coming the opposite way. We both stopped. I turned around and we stood on the side of the road for a few minutes. He downed a couple of  liquid bunnies before we went our separate ways.

When I got home, I checked the temperature. It was 86 damn degrees outside.


No comments: