Thursday, June 15, 2017

Expected Metric

Bordentown

11 June 2017 (posted 14 June 2017)





Ron M sent me an email, and added,  "BTW are you writing a blog on yesterday's ride?

"Eventually," I wrote back. "I'm still writing about Ithaca. I'm very far behind. I took too many pictures."

Well, it's 11:43 p.m. on Wednesday night. I'm going to bang this out in the next 15 minutes and be caught up. There's a ride list to stuff into the Freewheel, and edits to make. Bleah.

So, anyway, I sat on my butt all day Saturday at a meeting. Tom and a few members of the Insane Bike Posse wound up with an unexpected metric.  I didn't quite know what I was going to do Sunday morning until my alarm went off at 6:30 a.m. and a text from Chris was waiting for me. His ride from Allentown was on. I'd start from home before 8:00 and meet the group in front of Bruno's at 9:00.

In a store full of brand new bikes, what did my eyes go to first? The two vintage steel ones, of course. A Schwinn and a Raleigh. He's only asking $450 for that Schwinn Super Sport circa 1974. What are you waiting for?


The Le Tour hasn't weathered the years as well:


The B+, B, and C+ rides were merged, being that, aside from the three ride leaders, there were only three of us. Chris had come up with a route to Bordentown. Ron, Sue, Ken, Emir, and I followed. Our discussions centered on how much Garmin sucks (the hive mind has convinced me to wipe my $500 Piece of Shit clean and only load a couple of routes at a time), local history (Chris knows all of it and periodically stopped for lectures), and me rabbiting on to Emir about local roads and biking stories (because we all love it when a new rider shows up).

I always like the view from Mount Pleasant Road. It's almost a hill.


Chris told us that this house features in Weird New Jersey, but with six blogging minutes left, I don't have time to look it up.

We stopped at the deli in Bordentown. I guess I haven't been there much in the summer. We should stop there more often. They have pitchers of iced coffee, iced tea, and strawberry mint lemonade on the back counter.

On our way out of town we stopped at the river overlook.



I had over 50 miles when we got back to Bruno's. Whenever I'm there during or after a ride, I get a mango smoothie, hold the ice cream. I just want the juice and the slush. 

I got home with 68.9 miles. It took a fair amount of willpower not to ride around until I hit 69 or 70.

OK. It's 11:59 p.m. I'm done. All caught up!

No comments: