Sunday, April 14, 2019

Six Mile Pig

Delaware and Raritan Canal at Six Mile Run 


14 April 2019

We're obsessed with The Pig. We start there, we end there, we go there in the middle, and we even show up on rainy days.

Jim was reluctant to list a ride today. I talked him into it despite the mid-week forecast that was calling for rain today. By last night the chance of rain had dwindled. The morning was cool and foggy.

I started out at 7:40 a.m., rear light blinking, front light stashed away somewhere that made perfect sense six months ago.

When I reached Six Mile Run State Park, the densest of the fog was gone. Jim had a decent group comprised of me, him, two Andrews and two Richards. The route to Pennington skirted the Sourland mountain.

At the bend in Route 601, you know the one, the long dog-leg, there is the Hidden Spring Lavender Farm. The mist diffused the light just right and I stopped for some pictures.




The only real climb was Province Line from 518 to Cherry Valley.

At Sourland Coffee, on the counter, in a cup, are Blue Pig Club cards. "They're catching on," I told Jim as I handed him one. He was delighted.


"I'm not sure I'll be back here ten times," he said, and then immediately corrected himself. "Of course I will."

By the time we'd all caffeinated and sugared ourselves, Jim was announcing that he was going to make this ride a regular one.

We headed south towards the Pole Farm. I could have gone straight when he turned on Blackwell Road but I decided to stick with the group all the way to Rosedale Road at Province Line, conveniently before that long climb into Princeton.

I'll gladly do this ride again.

No comments: