Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Joseph McBride Memorial Scholarship Fundraiser Glass Sale




7 May 2019

Welcome to the Hot Mess Glass sale. All proceeds will go towards the Joseph McBride Memorial Award, a scholarship at the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice. 

Each spring a second-year graduate student is given a $2000 award. My goal is to raise $500. I will throw in an additional $200, which will get us a little more than a third of the way towards the full scholarship.

Everything here is a practice piece on my way towards learning how to shape glass and use color.
The sale is on a first-come, first-served basis. To purchase a piece please leave a comment or message me directly and I will contact you. 

This post will be updated as pieces sell and as I add more.

Thank you for your contribution!

*****


Sand-Blasted Plates, $20 each

This was an early-semester assignment in clear glass.
Sand-blasting made them look better.
Each plate is approximately 6 inches across.



Sand-Blasted Funnel Cup 1, $20

This was an early-semester exercise and my first attempt
to make a funnel. Sand-blasting made it
look better.
The piece is approximately 4 inches high.



Sand-Blasted Funnel Cup 2, $20

This was an early-semester exercise and my second attempt
to make a funnel. Sand-blasting made it
look better.
The piece is approximately 4 inches high.



Sand-Blasted Scrap Red Funnel Cup, $20

Once I started to get the hang of the shape I rolled clear glass
in scrap glass. Sand-blasting the inside made
it look better.
The piece is approximately 4 inches high.



Cats, $20 each

From left to right:
Orange Frit
Spotted White
Aurora Sunrise
Unexpected Color Reaction
Fuchsia
 Sizes vary from approximately 3-5 inches high.



Glued-Ear Cat, $10

The left ear broke off in the annealing oven when
something hit it or it rolled. I glued it back on
with glass-specific epoxy.
This is a big guy with a fat head, approximately 6 inches high.




Lucifer the Headless Cat, $10

This little guy was going along just fine until the end,
when the torch we used for the eyes reduced the glass on
his face. Then, when I went to break him off the pipe, his
head popped off instead. I glued him back together.
He's a mess but he's kinda cute.
This little guy is approximately 3 inches high.



Tiny Threaded Vase, $15

I thought these colors would contrast more than they did.
I sand-blasted the inside to help with the contrast.
This is a tiny vase, approximately 4 inches high.



Wrapped Cups, $15 each

Wrapping is one of my favorite things.
The cup on the left (approximately 4 inches high)
was put into the annealer too hot; the top
was still moving and ended up out of round.
The cup on the right (approximately 2 inches high)
 has bits of pipe schmutz stuck to the
inside. It happens.



Neo Lavender Oops Bowl, $15

I was working with a new color that got away from me.
When in doubt, spin it out.
This color looks pale blue under fluorescent light
and bright pink under LED and natural light.
The bowl is approximately 3 inches high and 6 inches wide.

under fluorescent light
 under fluorescent light
 under LED light



Green Doodle Cup, $10

This semester I learned how to use rods and how to
draw on glass. This is a practice piece where neither the drawing
nor the blowing went particularly well. The shape is okay though.
The cup is approximately 4 inches high.



Frit Cups, $10 each

Once I learned how to make a funnel it was all I did for
a few weeks. Unfortunately I had some trouble keeping
a symmetrical shape. All of these cups are wonky in their own way.
Size varies from approximately 4 to 6 inches high.

Left: Reactive Mix frit over unreduced Iris Gold
Center: Chalcedony frit
Right: Aurora Sunrise frit mix



Tiny Bowls, $10 each

This color, Capri Blue, gave me no end of trouble this semester.
It was still early on when I tried to make these vessels.
The color is great. The shaping, not so much.
The big one is approximately 4 inches high. The little one is
about 3 inches high.



Wonky Scrap Cup, $10

I rushed this one. It shows. It's about 3 inches high.






Volcano Shape Study, $5

One more from our shapes assignment, this one takes three
people to make and it's not worth the effort. It'll be good for incense
or a single flower though.
It's approximately 4 inches high.



First Semester Sand-Blasted Shallow Bowl, $5

I dug this one out of the reject pile at the end of last semester when
we were learning how to use the sand blaster.
The pattern is random. It's a good water bowl for a cat.
It's about 1.5 inches high.



Tiny Ugly Pink Doodle Bowl, $5

Using a rod from the student sample pack, I tried drawing again.
The drawing went fine, but the color did not spark joy and I didn't
bother opening it up into a reasonable vessel.
It is approximately 2 inches high.



Wheaton Arts planter, $20

I made this a year ago, before I started glassblowing regularly.
To say I made this myself is a big stretch. I had lots of help
and it's still uneven. It's also bigger than anything I make
these days, standing somewhere above 6 inches tall.

No comments: