Saturday, June 12, 2021

Sunset, Sunrise, Sunrise

Sunrise, Frenchman Bay

12 June 2021

This is the final blog post from our trip to Maine. 

I got really good at getting up at 4:30, brushing my teeth, pulling on a pair of jeans, grabbing my camera stepping onto the balcony to catch the sunrise, and going back to sleep 20 minutes later.

Seeing the sunset required a little more planning. The tide was always in at sunset during our trip, so we had to watch it from the harbor dock, which isn't nearly as much fun as watching it from the sand bar. It turned out that the cloud cover was always thick too.

I caught what I could before we had to scurry off for dinner reservations.



The island side of the sand bar has a little stand of little trees that look like a desert oasis:














I'd never noticed the National Ocean Survey marker on the pier.






Sunset is when the LED moose over Geddy's restaurant on Main Street lights up.




There was less cloud cover the next morning.





I like how the silhouette of Sheep Porcupine Island looks against a pink sky.











I was expecting to hear the putter of the sunrise lobster boats. 

It was Sunday.

It was just the lapping of water on the rocks, the birds, and my tinnitus.












I got up at sunrise again on our last morning in Bar Harbor.


It was Monday, and the first lobster boat was out before dawn,


A heat wave was settling in. Through the haze I could see Egg Rock lighthouse beyond the breakwater.



























Another lobster boat passed by.







I went back inside, pulled the curtains shut, and fell asleep for three more hours. 

No comments: