Thursday, August 15, 2024

Kinda

 

Holy Kickstand by Tom Hammell

15 August 2024


I led a hilly ride from Pennington to Sergeantsville on Saturday. I had my camera with me, but I didn't take any pictures. 

We took a counterclockwise route and avoided roads that I knew we'd be traveling the next day. I didn't put any beastly hills in. I could tell by the way my body was aching that it was time to dial things down.

Our rest stop was at the Covered Bridge Cafe and Market in Sergeantsville. The general store up the street isn't even a thought anymore. 

As we were getting ready to saddle up again, I was informed that Heddy had a visitor on her saddle. She took a couple of pictures.

not bad for a cell phone and a quickly-moving spider

"Ooh! A little jumper!" I said, and coaxed the spider onto my right hand. I moved toward the wooden bike rack to set the critter down. It jumped onto my left hand first. When I got it onto the wood, it went straight for my left shifter. "No, no, no," I told the spider, and directed it back to the bike rack. There's not enough focus nor detail for iNaturalist to give me a definitive identification, but it got down to the subtribe level of Dendryphantina jumping spiders.

I'd been saving my energy on Saturday's ride, staying towards the back, so that I'd have enough left to climb hills again on Sunday. Dave S doesn't put a 10-person cap on attendees like I do. When I checked on Sunday morning, he was up to 21, although I'm not sure they all showed up.

The first thing he asked when I arrived was if I'd take some of the group to an alternate coffee shop in Lambertville. None that we frequent can handle so many people at once. My group would to go Luminary and the rest to LTC. 

Dave had also circumvented the nasty hills. I felt better than the day before (I think I'd been a bit dehydrated) and kept my place in the middle of the pack.

Our final descent was on Fairview, a hill we've climbed a few times this season. It's short and steep. I'm not sure I'd ever ridden down this hill. The view from the top made the road look precarious. 

Heddy was next to me as we descended. I reflected on all the climbing we've done this year.

"Y'know," I said, "It's all relative, but we're kinda badass."

*****

Last night was the final Wednesday Premed ride before we leave for Nova Scotia. Our Jeff put three annoying hills in. I had fresh legs for a change, having stayed off my bike for two days. Over dinner at It's Nutts, we discussed logistics. Our Jeff hatched this plan in December 2022. Now people are saying, "See you Friday" and "See you Sunday" and it sounds so strange.

I took today off to finish packing, and to be home for the crew tearing up our front yard to put a new sewer line in. Last night was the first time all week that I haven't woken up in the wee hours panicking about the trip.

Tom has blessed us online with the Holy Kickstand.

Tomorrow morning, Glen and Martin will arrive to load in my luggage, my bike, and me. Next stop, Portland, Maine.

No comments: