Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Big, Icy Ball of Suck





25 January

Six Mile Run State Park's MTB trails were a sheet of ice. I wasn't on my bike five minutes before I said, "I don't like this at all." Mike B wasted no time agreeing with me, so Chris turned us around and found something more suitable to our wussiness and inexperience.

We played snow plow up in the fields until we were tired and bored.

Then we put our bikes away and our sneakers on and hiked along the edges of the icy trail. We did this until Mike got cold, I got hungry, and Chris went off to pee in the woods. After that we followed an underground gas line clearing, then bush-whacked a little bit towards the power line right-of-way. From there we followed our tire tracks back to the parking lot.

I collected some new bruises and some new pictures.

We definitely want to come back and ride this thing.

In, like, October.


This is, I assume, Six Mile Run:





Here's the power line from the Red Trail:



This is the fun, flat part of the Red Trail. We got nowhere near here on our bikes because before this point there was a lot of climbing and roots on a narrow trail, all of it covered in ice.



You can see some of the ice at the bottom of this picture. The rest of the ice was covered in a thin layer of cedar needles.



Here's the ol' power line again, from higher up the right-of-way:




No comments: