Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MRI

14 December 2010

Yesterday I had an MRI on my lower back. I'll take that over a head and neck MRI any day. While the latter sounded like rejected pieces of an unfinished Philip Glass composition (and it didn't help that my head was in a cage), the former sounded like the rhythm track of any number of techno songs one might hear in Spin class. At one point I actually giggled.

It sounded something like this:

Tok tok tok!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr.
Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Pddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

Omomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomom
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Omomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomom
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Omomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomom

Omomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomom
Dreidl dreidl dreidl dreidl omomomomomomomomomomomomomomom
Omomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomomdreidlomomom

Yupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyup


Of course, I went web surfing to find audio tracks.

These are pretty tame.

Here's a whole page of samples. Click on the very last one. Yupyupyupyupyup...

The second one on that page could easily be from the middle of Fatboy Slim's "Gangster Tripping." The third and sixth ones are exactly the timing that drives me crazy. I'm sure I heard something like it when my head was being examined. The fifth one? Philip Glass.

I found, and I'm not making this up, a downloadable, 22-minute audio recording of a complete brain scan. I wish I'd heard this before my own whole brain scan in January 2009. Seriously. Go download it and have a listen. Don't forget to turn the volume up to maximum, and have someone pin your head down while you listen.

1 comment:

Jason Sanders said...

Everyone you know is probably giving you advice about your back, but I will risk it and show you what worked for me: http://amzn.to/vjyn

No drugs, no exercise (back-focused that is) and no pain for 10 years. Gotta have an open mind though.

Hope you feel better!