Monday, November 13, 2017

Another View of the Delaware River

Delaware River at Florence, NJ

13 November 2017

There had been some rain overnight and the forecast for November 5 was a little sketchy. Chris said the ride was on though, so I packed up Kermit and drove to Allentown.

Jim Bruno finally sold the old, orange Schwinn. He has a new old one in its place. 



We spent a long time talking about bike shop survival in the online age. Although I do buy small stuff like tires and tubes online, I always to my local shop for anything that requires more experience than I have. Amazon isn't going to diagnose an annoying squeak or get me the custom fit I need.

We were about to roll out when I noticed that my rear tire had gone flat, so I went back into the shop and let Jim fix it. He's faster than I am and I wanted to throw him some business after all the time I'd taken from him already.

I was the only one to show up for the ride. When that happens Chris takes liberties with the route. He decided he wanted to go down Thompson Street in Bordentown again to see if any of the Halloween decorations were still up. They were. We didn't stop for pictures.

We got a little fall color in along the walking path above the river where the Crosswicks Creek comes in.



We continued south, along the river, into Florence, and past the Roebling Museum.


We found an expansive park along the water. There was an asphalt path cutting through the lawn. After riding back and forth a couple of times we found the start of it and followed it down.










We went east, across Route 130. We were trying to make up for lost time.

"Motherfucker!" Chris hollered. His rear tire, a tubular, had gone flat. I got a snapshot of some red trees while he emptied his saddle bag.


Let us all pause here and admire the man who coordinates not only his socks with his leggings, but with his hub-cleaner too.



We were up in Chesterfield by the general store when Chris bellowed "Motherfucker!" again. Fortunately the second spare tire held and we made it back to Allentown.

No comments: