Saturday, March 9, 2019

Penance Ride with Sheep

Blowing Glass on a Bike Day 
Means Getting the Finger from the Posse

9 March 2019

Remember back when we had a paper newsletter that required us leaders to list our rides six weeks in advance? Snagging a vacant slot in the glassblowing lab schedule is sort of like that. On Thursday evenings the schedule for the following week is posted, on paper, by a magnet, to a cabinet door. I've jumped into three Saturday mornings so far, and so far two of them have wound up being good days to be on the road.

As with cycling, glassblowing comes with a major hit to the wallet. As an out-of-state student I'm paying twice as much. If there's an empty slot I'm going to take it if I can.

As with cycling, when I'm working with hot glass everything else falls away. Well, nearly everything. Today I kept thinking that I ought to have been with Tom and the Insane Bike Posse.

So, when I got home, after receiving the now standard middle-finger photo, I got Rowlf and the two of us went for a late-afternoon meander.

I was a few miles in when George D spotted me from the other side of Federal City Road. We spent a few minutes catching up on each other's lives.

I didn't stop again until Bayberry Road, where the sheep were out. It was late enough now that everything was bathed in pre-sunset yellow.





I got home 5 minutes before sunset with not nearly enough miles to make up for the rides I've been missing.

I've got to find a more time-compatible hobby. Meanwhile, if you want to read about my misadventures in the studio, scroll up to the top of this page and enter "a hot mess" into the search box.

No comments: