Monday, April 27, 2020

Lockdown Chronicles: Cold Toes No Rain

Lamb, Crusher Road, Hopewell, NJ

27 April 2020

This weather is not cooperating with the lockdown. I've logged a lot of hours on Gonzo these past bunch of weeks. Gonzo is screwed into a fluid trainer on my screened-in back porch. I've been watching the hostas and the weeds come up. I even know which patio brick to look at to find the first puddle when the rain starts.  And if it's not raining, the wind is gusting into the high 40s, sending showers of dead branches where I and my bike might want to be.

So when there was a break in the rain and the wind was low last Thursday mid-day, I escaped from work-at-home to get a few hours on the road. I didn't plan a route; I just went wherever. We're lucky to live where we do. It doesn't take much effort to find a pretty road. 

Once in a while there would be a few drops of rain; there was something like a 25 percent chance I'd get wet. My toes were cold, which annoyed me. Toes aren't supposed to be cold in late April.

I stopped for pictures only once. There's a farm on Crusher Road that has all the livestock: cows, horses, sheep, and goats.


There were some lambs in the mix.








I was glad to get out, but I still had half a day's worth of work in front of me. Before I dived back in, I took some more pictures of the yard. There's this ground cover, Lamium, that was here when we moved in. It's slowly marching toward the empty area where the bamboo used to be.


I suppose violets are a weed, but I let them grow wherever they want.


The redbud tree flowers are in full bloom now.


Enough procrastinating. I didn't want to have to work until bedtime.

No comments: