Sunday, April 12, 2020

Lockdown Chronicles: Rowlf's Wednesday Afternoon

Old Mill Road, Pennington

26 April 2020

Sheesh. Working from home on my laptop all day really gets in the way of blogging. I'm already almost two weeks behind.

This was three Wednesdays ago, April 8. I took Rowlf out for a rolling ride, his first of the year. I wheeled him out the back door, taking a quick picture of the blooming redbud tree on the way. 


Farther back, the daffodils and early-blooming azalea (it blooms in the fall too!) worked well together.


These days I don't want to stray too far from home. I'm trying to combine a workout with scenery. A good place to do that is on the closed section of Province Line Road. No matter from which side you approach it, you'll have a steep climb out.

From the bridge I could see three people fishing in the Stony Brook. They were keeping far apart from each other.



Two walkers passed me from the opposite side of the bridge.




From the top of Province Line I went west, up Cleveland. I don't know what it is about that road It always feels worse than it needs to be. It's a series of little uphill rollers. I had the wind in my face, which didn't help. At least the blacktop is new.

From there I snaked over to Bayberry again. This time there were no pedestrians to slalom around



Pennington-Hopewell Road can sometimes be busy, so I try not to be on it when I lead group rides. Today it was quiet. I stopped to take a picture of the old railroad bridge and the Stony Brook.





On my way home I went down Old Mill, where I had a good view of the eagles' nest.



That's one big chick up there.



There was rain in the forecast for later in the day. I liked what the sky was doing, but I needed to get a move on.


On Blackwell Road I could clearly see the front coming in.



I got home before the rain. As the sky darkened, Glooskap and Mojo were taking their afternoon nap.


No comments: