Saturday, May 23, 2020

Lockdown Chronicles: Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron near Delaware and Raritan Canal, Lawrence Township, NJ 

20 May 2020

Jack and I took a walk on the towpath an hour before sunset. We started from the Brearley House. There's a sign at the Lawrence-Hopewell Trail that reminds us we're in the new normal.


I'm here more often on my bike than on foot, and during winter more than any other time. The path to the canal was more crowded than I'd ever seen, which is to say that we made space for two pairs of two to pass us from the opposite direction.

In the little marsh we saw a great blue heron. I wonder if this is the same one a group of us kept disturbing on one of our winter rides last year. This one didn't seem to care about our presence. It was busy eating dinner.





They're kinda round!



And stilty.


The towpath, too, had people on it. I didn't think anyone bothered to walk this far south.


On our way back, nearly half an hour later, the heron was still there, now in shadow.






No comments: