Saturday, May 23, 2020

Lockdown Chronicles: Whitecaps on the Assunpink

Headwinds on Assunpink Lake, Assunpink WMA 

19 May 2020

I usually take Monday as a rest day, both from exercise and coffee. A pair of fresh legs and a bloodstream full of caffeine is the best way to describe my motivation on Tuesdays.

We've had a cool, windy spring. Today the wind was out of the east again, gusting up into the high 20s. I took Kermit right into it, through Mercer County Park and over to the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area. (For some reason, everyone just calls it "the Assunpink," which can be confusing, because the river runs all the way to Trenton.)

It was slow going. When it wasn't directly into my face, I had to lean into the wind to stay upright. I finally got a break when I turned onto the hill leading into the Assunpink. It's the hill in the shade where a Free Wheeler took a tumble a few years back and the ambulance dispatchers couldn't figure out which jurisdiction the road was in. Clearly nobody can, because nobody is bothering to fix the potholes. I won't lead anyone down that hill anymore. At least on the way up one has time to slalom around the craters.

I surfed the tailwind all the way to the lake. There were whitecaps. That's how strong the wind was.



For years none of us went this way because the road was dirt, flooded, or both. Now that it's paved, it's pleasant. I stopped by the wetlands to grab a snack and some photos.



If I were to guess, I'd think beavers had a hand in this.




The tailwind pushed me home.

No comments: