Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Fuck-It List

11 February 2012


There are some people who make a list of things they want to do before they die.  They call it a bucket list.

I'm not that well organized, nor that morbid-thinking (at the moment, anyway).  However, even though I've been cycling in central New Jersey for over a decade now, there are still a few roads nearby that I've never been on, or, in some cases, up, and there are some things I've just never tried.

Now, I know that Hill Slugs traditionally aren't supposed to think like this, and I'm sure I'll catch some flak from a certain contingent who will tell me I'm not being true to our name, but, in the spirit of a bucket list, let me introduce my fuck-it list.  As in, "Fuck it, let's just climb this thing already."

Here are a few for starters.  Feel free to add more in the comments.  Maybe we'll get to them, maybe we won't.  Just 'cause they're there doesn't mean we have to climb them.  But we might...

1.  Pine Hill (ascent, Delaware Township);
2.  Tumble Falls (ascent, Kingwood Township);
3.  Parsonage Lot (ascent, Tewksbury);
4.  Black River (ascent, Bedminster, but only if it's been re-paved);
5.  River Road along the Raritan's South Branch as far as it goes, from Flemington to Califon;
6.  A hilly century;
7.  Following 539 or 523 or 519 from the river as far north as we can go, taking one road up and another back;
8.  Eagle Road (ascent, Newtown, PA; I did this once before but it was in 2001);
9.  Following the Delaware River on the NJ side to Phillipsburg and beyond;
10. Following the Delaware River on the PA side to Easton to see where the Lehigh and the Delaware meet; and
11.  The Longest Day route (but not in one day; I'm still not that crazy).

4 comments:

Capt. Jack said...

Number 1 and 2 are my Favs!

Plain_Jim said...

Have you seen Ken Roberts's Hills on Paved Roads in NJ page?

Capt. Jack said...

Nice resource there Plain Jim, thanks.

Phyllis said...

Gosh Laura, those are all great roads and I think you will have a lot of fun with them.

My favorite is Black River...it is gorgeous and feels like a deep forest with lots of cool, moist air while climbing.

Phyllis