Sunday, June 17, 2012

The 2012 Crazy Season Officially Begins

17 June 2012

Crazy Season starts with my first century, which is usually in late may or June, and ends with my last century, which is usually in October.  Crazy Season means grazing between meals with impunity.  Crazy Season means long rides and rest days.  Crazy Season means bringing 5-15 pounds of vegetables home each week from my half-share in Cherry Grove Organic Farm.  Crazy Season means figuring out what to do with all that greenery.  Crazy Season got its name when I was spending 3 hours each day commuting to and from work.  Now I don't have to do that.  Now Crazy Season means biking to work on days that I don't go to the gym or the farm or need to rest before the next big weekend ride.

Crazy Season started yesterday with a century from home to Belmar and back.  Joe met me at 7 a.m.  We rode over to Mercer County Park.  On the way we found two Free Wheelers who have been on a few of my rides.  They were headed to Allentown, so we rode into the park together.

There are now bike lanes in Mercer County Park!

At the East Picnic Area we picked up Ron and Jackie.  From there we rode to Etra Park.  We were early, which is unusual for me.  Fortunately, Bruce and John rode in early too.

We had clear skies, low humidity, temperatures in the 70s, and a tailwind on the way home.  We never did get into a pace line (something we'll have to correct next time), but we made decent speed for fending for ourselves.

I ate right, drank right, and only hit a trough two times, both after 70 miles.  Both times I got out of it within minutes.  This was my 29th century.  I hope they all go this smoothly.

This is the route, from Joe's cue sheet.  We didn't do exactly this because we missed the turn onto West Farm, which cut out two miles.  We still came in over 100 though, and that's what counts.



No comments: