Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sunday, 24 June: Hill Slugs in Hunterdon County

21 June 2012

Back in April, Michael H. asked me if I'd do him the favor of leading a ride for the Hunterdon Land Trust. The Trust had asked Michael if he could get some cyclists up their way to check out their farmers market and the open space they'd preserved. Being an "environmental wacko," as Chris C. calls me, I said I'd do it.

What I didn't know at the time was that the start of the ride, the Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers Market, is on a bleedin' traffic circle. As circles go, it turns out, the one the market is on isn't so bad. There's even a back way in, sort of, for our return trip.  Michael says that there will be marshals to guide us into and out of the market.

I have two routes mapped out, both of which stay in Hunterdon County. One goes around the Round Valley Reservoir with a Hill Sluggish amount of climbing. The other is more punishing, explores roads I've never been on, and revisits Bloomsbury.

Besides being out in the scenery, there are two more goals for this ride.  The first is to point out what's preserved and what is in danger of becoming houses unless preservation happens.  The second goal is is to get back to the market before it closes at 1:00 p.m. I'm shooting for 12:30, which is more likely to happen if we go see the reservoir. It'll all depend on what the group feels like doing.

The ride starts at 8:30 a.m. from the Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers Market, at 111 Mine Street, in Flemington, on the circle where Routes 12 and 523 come together. The market is very obvious:  look for the roof.  More information is on the market's home page (from which I stole this picture).



Whatever route we don't take on Sunday we'll ride some other day, from a more peaceful starting location.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great ride with a great stop. Thx