Sunday, March 10, 2013

Late Winter Snow

snow at sunrise from Dale's window

10 March 2013

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm supposed to be blogging about our weekend rides, the weather finally having been warm enough that we could ditch our heavy leggings.  But all I did was bike commute to a meeting on Saturday.  Jim has captured today's Cranbury gaggle.

This leaves me free to post pictures from Friday's little snowstorm.  It happened during the morning hours.  Dale caught it at sunrise from her 3rd floor window and texted her picture to me and Terry C.  It's a thing we've been doing lately:  texting sunrises.

I'd slept in.  My return text was this:

I think we lost more than half of our bamboo this fall, between Sandy and the first snowfall.  I bet it'll all grow back.

Terry sent us a picture (which I've inadvertently deleted in my latest cell phone data purge) of her bird feeders .  I texted back the scene in our front yard.


The boys were riveted to the scene, to the point that Burnaby didn't even come into the kitchen when I brought out the morning dollop of Fancy Feast.



The roads were clear, even though the snow was still coming down.  This is the roundabout at Faculty Road on Princeton University's campus.  We peons have been relocated from the garage to an open-air lot farther south.  This view is part of my daily walk uphill to the lab.


Now that I come in from the south, I walk behind the dorms, along a field.  I'm sure the field has a name.  The walkway probably has a name.  Everything has a name.  I proudly know none of them.  Given my income, a bequest from me wouldn't get me a plaque over a toilet seat.  Anyway, here's the Donor's Name Here field:


And these are student's bikes by a dorm entrance:


Snow-covered benches along Rich Guy's Name Here Walk:


Farther up the hill, in the grass, lay a snow-covered bike:



By the time I left work 11 hours later, the snow was gone.  The bike was still there.

No comments: