Saturday, March 23, 2013

Windy Spring Saturday


 My legs will soon look like this


 or this.



 And my arms like this.


23 March 2013

Until Ed's broken shoulder heals -- his skis think shoulders look better in pieces -- Jim and I have been instructed to blog about our rides, so that Ed might ride vicariously.

So, Ed, here's what we did today:

Tom's ride started at 10:00, which gave me and Jim plenty of time to get extra miles in beforehand, and at a reasonable hour, too.  Jim's route got us to Etra Park in just under 9 miles.

The ten of us (me, Jim, Tom, Al, Ron, Cheryl, Mighty Mike, Herb, Dave H, and Chris) had near-perfect weather.  Although the sun was out, it was a little too cold and a little too windy, but compared to what we've been riding in for the past few weeks, it was ideal.

We wound our way through Monmouth and Burlington Counties, winding up at Phil's.  Caution to the wind (and there was plenty of wind), I ate rice pudding.  I warned people, "I'm either gonna throw up or kick ass."  I did neither, but it was enough to get me back to Etra.

That's when the real fun began.  Wanting to avoid 571 and Plainsboro Road, I suggested that Jim and I take the Cranbury Macho Mile route back to Plainsboro.

Between Etra Park and Plainsboro lie miles of open fields, over which the wind was coming at us at a steady 17 mph (or so NOAA says; it felt like more).  We took turns pulling, never getting above 12 mph when we were westbound.

As we crossed Route 130 I felt a strange sensation at my waist and realized that my long-loved, well-worn, sparkly tights were falling down.  Good thing for the basic black shorts underneath, or that Clarksburg skank would have something else to fall in love with.

As we reached 60 miles, I said, "Imagine if this were a century," because this is what the Pumpkin Patch Pedal century feels like when, in early October, we ride through Burlington County.  Jim didn't want to be reminded.

It took something close to forever, but we did get back to our cars, and with the season's first metric out of the way.  I finished with 62 miles, which is close enough to a real metric (62.1371 miles = 100 km)

Next Saturday is the annual Chocolate Bunny ride.  The full route is 53 miles.  I'll have a cue sheet for those who want to shorten the route to something like 43 miles.  People who start from my house will get more than a metric.  I'm hoping the new tights will have arrived.







5 comments:

Dave said...

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I see an odd pattern developing: 1)Using an exotic hair style to attract attention at a fancy eatery; 2)disrobing at the intersection of a major highway; 3)Luring people to places with offers of a chocolate bunny.

Plain_Jim said...

4) The use of high-voltage-print clothing to attract attention. I think you're right, Dave; I see a pattern developing. OTOH, can you visualize Laura in, say a nun's habit? The black of the Josephites, the brown of the Franciscans, the white of the Dominicans? Sister Perpetual Headwinds, perhaps?

Naaaah.

Our Lady of Perpetual Headwinds said...

Better still: As my tights were falling down on the Route 130 circle, Jim was singing Ave Maria in Latin. What do you make of that?

Anonymous said...

Those new tights will one-up Chris Cook. Is that the idea?

Our Lady of Perpetual Headwinds said...

Worse than one-up: copy! I just requested a change in my order. Chris already has one of the patterns I'd selected.