Friday, September 26, 2014

Hopewell Valley Stampede Part Four: On the Way Back to Pennington

26 September 2014

Ox Tops was at the entrance of Saint Michael's Farm Preserve.


Ox Tops is decorated only with plastic bottle caps.


On one hoof, that's pretty cool.  On the other, that's pretty disturbing.


50 years ago, this ox would have been decorated with metal caps.


America:  land of non-degradable waste



At the top of the hill, at Cherry Valley Road, we found OOOXXX Sparkle.


It took me a few minutes to realize that the big round things were supposed to be jewels.

Oh, I get it now.  Sparkle.  Ha ha.




Celeste peeled off for home.  We turned onto Pennington-Rocky Hill Road.  We still had a few oxen left to visit, although I cut the one on Elm Ridge out (Forever Nowllie looked interesting from a drive-by).  We stopped at Lucky Lindy.


Pilot?  Flying cow?


John K really dug Star the Wishing Ox at the Kerr farm.  Here's Jack H reading some of the wishes:



He looks kind of annoyed.





Of all the oxen we saw on the tour, Rooted is my favorite in the scenery category.  He's at the intersection of Pennington-Rocky Hill and Old Mill.  This one is definitely worth a close-up look.









Back in Pennington, we caught the two we'd skipped on Main Street on our way out.

Pennington Means Business:



It reminds me of the two paint-by-numbers style pictures hanging on the wall outside of the bathroom at the Sergeantsville General Store.


I didn't get what Olde Blue was about.  Someone suggested it was Sinatra.  Whatever.



And that was the Hopewell Stampede Ride.  We saw 37 oxen in 40-something miles.  I was out for six hours.  I took 139 pictures.

Of all the oxen I came into contact with that day, this one is my favorite.  His name is Moxie, and one of his many nicknames, since kittenhood, is...


...Mox Ox.

No comments: