Thursday, September 10, 2015

So I Did This Stupid Thing (Or, Three Cheers for Electrical Tape)

10 September 2015


Yesterday's forecast looked iffy for the homebound bike commute, so I took Gonzo instead of Beaker.  I left the lab close to sunset. I figured I'd need to use my 3000 lumen light, which interferes with my wireless cycle computer in amusing ways (I can pull up to a red light at 97 mph, for instance).


The computer's mount is too narrow for the bar, and it's also broken.  I've got it attached to the mount with black electrical tape, and to the bar with red electrical tape.  If I'm going to be a cheapskate, the least I can do is match. Between the light and possible downpours, I figured my computer would be better off in my pocket than on my handlebar, so I undid the tape and dropped the thing into my jersey. 


Halfway home, I got caught in a shower and needed the light. I rode out the other side and was halfway towards dry when I got home.  Except my feet.  Once they get wet, they stay wet.


Late last night I decided to do a load of laundry and tossed my damp bike clothes in.


This morning I pulled them out of the washing machine.  There, under the pile of wet clothing, was my cycle computer.  I'd forgotten to put it back on the bike.


It was still taped to the mount, and the tape for the bar was still attached. And sticky.  I put it back on the bike.  Son of a gun, the computer still works.  Turns out that by covering it in electrical tape, I'd waterproofed the thing.

No comments: