Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas in a London Hotel



25 December 2015

When we got back from dinner last night, this was waiting on the desk:


I set out the chocolates and cookies that Mazz had given us, propped a gingerbread impulse buy behind one of my presents for Jack, turned on the tree lights, and snapped a few pictures.



In the morning, after a slow and expensive breakfast in the hotel (nothing else is open), Jack unwrapped his presents. I bought him flat, packable things, including a fabulous moose ornament that I hope he keeps out all year:


There was a break in the rain, so we set out towards the Thames. Our path took us through Green Park, where we met some freaky-ass duck-things:



I'd been prepared to see nobody on the streets. I was surprised at the amount of traffic and the number of people on the sidewalks. We're staying close to three parks and a palace. There wasn't a moment we weren't surrounded by other tourists with nothing else to do but take a long walk before the rain started again. You won't see very many people in my pictures, though, because I tend to shoot over their heads or wait for a break in the crowds.



Gates at Buckingham Palace:




I was, like, the zillionth person that hour to take a picture of this poor guard.


Looking towards the London Eye Ferris wheel:


The Raritan River at Saint James Park:



I know nothing about English botany. Are we supposed to see bulbs about to open up in December?


It just looks wrong.


Pigeons posing:


Duly noted:


Peicans!








At first I thought the grey heron on the roof of Duck Island Cottage was a statue. That's the second time in three days that I've been fooled by a perched bird.




Another grey heron by the lake, unscrunched...


...and scrunched:



Here are some groovy brown guys (bar-tailed godwits; that took some searching):


The houses of Parliament:


Should this be happening?



A flock of construction cranes:


A slight drizzle began. We turned back towards the hotel.



We ate lunch in the hotel room, from food we'd bought at a small grocery store last night. It was probably the most healthy thing I've eaten since I got here. Until I ate the head and an arm off the gingerbread man.

We dimmed the lights and watched The Muppet Christmas Carol. Rain beat against the window.


After the movie was over, I logged onto eBay and Amazon to find a Rowlf for the new frame's saddle bag. Jack took a nap. Now it's nearly time for the Doctor Who Christmas Special, after which we have reservations at a Lebanese restaurant around the corner. Jack is chiding me for spending all my free time blogging instead of making jewelry. He's got a point. I'm going to set this laptop aside and start work on a necklace that came to me in a vision as I was falling asleep last week. Gotta make some sales to pay for that frame...

No comments: