Monday, December 28, 2015

London Lights, Part Five

 Near the British Museum, Bloomsbury, London

28 December 2015

Today is our last day in London. After sorting out our seats for tomorrow's flight home (it's now mandatory that one stop whatever one is doing 24 hours before one's flight in order to check in and pick seats), we hopped a bus to Bloomsbury.

The British Museum is like the Met in NYC, only free. So we went back in and randomly chose the oldest part of the collection, which was once King George III's library of books and curiosities. There was plenty of Greek pottery, a few clocks,  a giant marble toe, and various other odd things that kept us busy for a few hours. Only towards the end did I find things worthy of blog photography.


This is a boxwood carving that stands at about eight inches tall:


Two of London's best surviving book stores are in Bloomsbury: Skoob (at the Brunswick Center) and Judd (north of the museum). Both were open today (a lot wasn't because today is one of England's many seemingly random "bank holidays"), so we nosed around there for a while.

The top of Saint Pancras (Pancreas) station (now also a hotel), not carved from boxwood, and slightly bigger than eight inches:


And, finally, one more for the collection of holiday lights: Carnaby Street.


So, that's it for my ten days in London in 2015. It's time to pack up the little tree, stuff the Hobnobs and bags of candy into suitcase corners, and try to zip the thing shut.  In a few years' time, I'll try to remember all of this, scratch my head, and say, "When was that? 2015?" Then I'll remember the Colnago and say, "Definitely 2015."


2 comments:

Mirage said...

Great photos. Have a safe trip home and say hi to the cats from me , Jamesie and Baldrick-cat. My cell phone went kabluey for a couple of days (I think I was trying to download too much stuff,) and I was feeling a little too run down to sit at my laptop but I'll catch up with the rest of your London blog. It looks really neat.

Mirage said...

Great photos. Have a safe trip home and say hi to the cats from me , Jamesie and Baldrick-cat. My cell phone went kabluey for a couple of days (I think I was trying to download too much stuff,) and I was feeling a little too run down to sit at my laptop but I'll catch up with the rest of your London blog. It looks really neat.