Sunday, August 9, 2020

Fog

Princeton Battlefield

9 August 2020

I didn't feel like riding all the way up to the Claremont School this morning. Jim had given us the option of meeting him in Griggstown, and I took it.  I left early enough that I could stop for pictures.

When it's foggy, I take lots of pictures.

The Princeton Battlefield oak is always good for a shot or two.

The fog was starting to dissipate when I reached Carnegie Lake. 

Years ago, Tom took a picture in the fog of a rock at Spruce Run Reservoir. I've been trying to replicate that ever since. 
Somewhere on Canal Road, south of the Griggstown firehouse, I passed a farm with a pile of hay bales. When there aren't cows to stop for, hay bales will do.
Above the field, the sun was beginning to poke through the clouds.
 I was early, so I kept on riding, turning on Butler Road. Halfway up, Jim's group passed me coming down. I turned around. He had a lot of people with him. We picked up Dave H at the firehouse and met five more in Rocky Hill. Only two of the five were registered for the ride. There was no room for the others, which was fine, because they were too fast for us. At first, Jim told them to stay in the back, but when we got to Kingston, he told them to go off the front instead. That's the last we saw of them.

On a side street in Princeton, Pete popped out of a driveway. When we got near ETS, he led us down a side road to a bike path. Which is to say, there was probably a path under all the downed branches and leaves. The path took us to another residential street, which led to Province Line, where we picked up part of the LHT and found ourselves at ETS.

Pete and I left the group on Wargo Road. I didn't feel like riding all the way to Hopewell and then climbing out again. I was drenched. My gloves felt like two soggy weights. 

In Pennington I stopped at the Pig to check the hours. They're still only open Tuesday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. until noon, and they are still only serving drinks.

I got home early enough to finish all the Sunday chores and even go food shopping. What a mistake that was. At least I know what elementary school dodgeball trained me for.

No comments: