Saturday, August 8, 2020

Rides Where Nothing Happened

Assunpink Lake

8 August 2020


Two days after a Princeton University facilities cart driver demolished Beaker and turned me black and blue, I led a ride in the flatlands. We started at Mercer County Park and stopped at Charlestown Coffee House near New Egypt.

With me were the usual Slugs plus a few extras.

Nothing happened. We rode, we took a short detour to Assunpink Lake, we sat in the shade between buildings at Charlestown Coffee House, and we rode home again.

Assunpink Lake:

Rose mallow, in the hibiscus family, at Assunpink Lake:


Rowlf has been refit for commuting while I wait for Beaker to be reincarnated. It took longer than it should have to get all the lights and contraptions to sit in the right places. It's amazing what a slight change in handle bar shape and thickness can do to a simple setup.

A week after the crash, the university's Risk Managment folks told me that a reimbursement for the frame down payment was on its way to my bank account, with the full amount to be paid to me when the bike is finished. Pushing my luck, I sent along the receipt for the new helmet. They agreed to pay for that too. From my perspective, it's an obvious windfall, and I'm grateful that I had the camera footage on my side. From their perspective, they got off cheap and hassle-free.

Tom had ideas for a flat ride out of Bordentown on Saturday. Mighty Mike, his old Bianchi tuned up and restored by Michael at WheelFine, joined me, Jim, and Tom. Chris rolled in after nobody showed for his official ride, and tagged along with us. 

On a recent Friday night Insane Bike Posse Therapy Zoom call, Tom showed us a new mask that creeped us out. He'd printed a photo of his face onto fabric. It was serious Uncanny Valley stuff.

Today he outdid himself, sporting a dog-face mask whose nose and mouth moved as he talked.

The dewpoint was in the low 70s, so we were soaked before the morning mist burned off. Other than that, the ride was completely uneventful. 

My life has been full of stress and drama for several weeks now, so it was a relief to have a couple of hours where nothing happened.

No comments: