Saturday, October 3, 2020

Strange Trip Part Fifteen: More Hazy Harbor Sunrise

Sunrise on the Shore Path, Bar Harbor, ME

17 September 2020

It's 7:00 when I get back to the hotel. The sun is still low enough in the sky that it might make for some good pictures over the bay.

There's an orange glow, made hazier and much more dramatic by my camera.




Even facing away from the sun, though, it's clear that the air is not.








I walk north, towards the harbor. As I get farther from the sun, things start to look a little more normal. There's that line of cloud that I was trying to get pictures of at the top of the mountain.



All I have to do is turn around to make the world look strange again.




The Margaret Todd ticket dock reflects the orange glow.


She's still moored in the harbor. There's no wind today. Maybe she'll come back.


Jack is awake when I get back to the room. I try to lie down for a while. Maybe I fell asleep. It's hard to tell.

After breakfast I take a small walk to the pier. There's some activity by the Margaret Todd. I watch from the long dock that leads to the ramp, now back in place. At the ticket window, a worker is writing carefully on two white boards. The schooners will be sailing today. Another woman strides past towards the ticket window. There's something about the way she carries herself, thin, fit, tanned, too cool for this world, that tells me she must be one of the sailors*.


The bay is still aglaze with haze.



While I'm here, I might as well get a screen grab of  the Bar Harbor Cam feed. This camera is picking up some of the haze too, although it's not as obvious.



 I'm the red dot.


(*She is. Jack and I have lunch at the hotel terrace. I watch the boat fill with people, losing count after 32. I estimate they took 50 people out on the 2:00 tour. That's about 40 people too many. I'll wait til the virus is over before I set foot on that boat.)

No comments: