Thursday, June 15, 2023

Maine 2023 Part 12: Rainy Day

soggy but still standing

15 June 2023

The day was forecast to be rainy. There was no chance of doing anything outdoors for very long.


I kept on looking at the hour-by-hour predictions, hoping for a short window when I might be able to get out on my bike. The best we could get was a cold mist. Rats.

That didn't stop me from taking pictures from our balcony.





The Egg Rock lighthouse was barely visible.



That's a lot of wet gulls.




We sat in the hotel room, Jack reading and listening to music, me organizing my photos.


Around 11:00 we decided to walk up to the weekly farmers market. There wasn't much there besides mushrooms and meat. We went back to the Indian Market, where I talked to the bead artist again and bought another pair of earrings that I'd been thinking about for a day. 

The Abbe Museum, not usually open on Sundays, would be, for two hours, because of the Indian Market. Rather than trudge all the way back to the hotel to wait, we stood under an overhang at the museum for the better part of half an hour until they opened. We weren't the only early ones. Inside was more crowded than I'd ever seen, which is to say perhaps there were a dozen people. 

We found some lunch and then went back to the room to dry off.

On my laptop slideshow appeared a close-up of "Maine 13," a glass vessel I'd made in 2019 that took me 13 tries to get right. On it I'd created granite, sea, sky, and two trees. In other words, the view from our hotel balcony. This closeup looked like high tide out there.



There was a brief break in the rain in the early evening. I went for a walk on the sand bar. Those photos will be in the next post.

After dinner, despite the cold and rain, we decided we should get ice cream. The only place we hadn't been to yet was CJ's. We were met with a hand-written sign on a white board: "Closed today -- to[o] nasty. " CJ's had given up. We walked across the street to Mount Desert Island Ice Cream, a place with questionable flavors like coriander. They had indoor seating, though, so we stayed.


 

No comments: