Friday, November 16, 2012

Barecelona I: A Few Night Pictures


16 November 2012

I have a USB card reader, Jack has a new Chromebook, and our hotel has free wifi.  If I can just get used to this keyboard, which would be much easier without jet lag, we'll be in business.

We flew out of Newark at 9 p.m. yesterday, got to London Heathrow at 4 a.m. your time, and had just enough time to go through security, get breakfast, and find our gate before taking off for Barcelona.  We didn't arrive at our hotel until 9 a.m. your time.  That's 3 p.m. here.

Our hotel is right in the thick of the Barrio Gotico; our window looks out onto what looks like a castle wall.  In the wall are holes. In the holes are pigeons.






Being a vegetarian in Spain is a challenge. Being a healthy eater and a vegetarian in Spain as a tourist is impossible.  I think I had a month's worth of cheese today, but at least it was cheese and not ham.  Ham appears to be considered a vegetable over here.

On our way back to the the hotel we passed a vegan cafe (so, Dale, you can visit Barcelona after all).  That it was across an alley from a bar that displayed cured meats in its window is probably a matter of contention to someone.


OK.  I can't edit my photos (turn them 90 degrees when necessary) or do fancy text stuff on this computer.  I can get blog posts up as long as we've got wi-fi though.  It's midnight here.  I'm signing off.


1 comment:

Plain_Jim said...

"Ham appears to be considered a vegetable over here."

Wait... ham's not a vegetable?

("No est carne - est chorizo!" [Or something like that.])