Monday, June 10, 2013

#33

10 June 2013

Crazy Season has officially begun.

Friday soaked us with the remnants of a tropical storm.   My back yard was an inland sea, my driveway a river. 

Saturday's forecast was unsettled for Tom's Pinelands Cruise; I figured we'd be rained out.  But around 9:30 on Friday night, as I awoke fromn a nap, Tom posted that the forecast was improving and that we should check back at 6:30 a.m.

I stumbled around the house, filling water bottles, greasing the chain, filling the tires, mumbling to Jack that I was far too tired to get up at 5 a.m. to make tomorrow's ride a century by leaving for Bordentown by bike at 6:30 a.m.
 

I didn't do that; instead I rolled out of bed at 6:30 and drove to Bordentown.  And as I was driving I was thinking, "It's June already and I haven't done a century.  I need to do a century.  It's June already."

The sky looked like this:

The temperature was only in the mid-70s.  There was only a little wind. Conditions were perfect for me to bite off 100 flat miles.  I texted Jack, "Might make 100 today.  Will decide later."

Nobody was in a hurry.  Our second rest stop was at the Olde Worlde Bakerye ine Smithvillee.  I ate an entire pastry; I still had 50 miles to go.

I didn't really feel the first 65 miles.  At the end, Mary F, who never clips in for less than 100 miles, needed 20 more.  I followed her back towards New Egypt.  She led me down a few less-than-familiar roads that we're putting on this year's Ride for McBride.  In the center of New Egypt she went east and I headed west on 528.

I didn't have enough miles when I turned onto Hogback, so I went past Ward to the north side, wondering why we never ride there.  A mile later I found my answer as I dead-ended onto 130.  So much for that.  I trudged back towards Ward Avenue.  Still not enough miles.  Back down the southern stretch of Hogback.  Back up again.  Not enough miles.  West on Ward past the school to the deli.  Yep, it's open.  Good.  I need a drink.  I need a 7-11.  I need a Slurpee.  99.9.  Parking lot.  Car.  100.0.  Done.

Right.  Got that out of the way.  The next century I do will have more planning behind it.  Maybe it'll be a Hill Slugs ride in the flatlands.  Watch this space.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're more of a biker than me. I NEVER think in terms of doing 100-milers. It would have been nice having you on my 100-mile ride when you were thinking about one, though. See the June 8th listing at http://jlippinbike.wordpress.com/pfw-ride-notices/.