Monday, June 3, 2013

Reunions 2013


"I see a flying rabbit," Andrew said. 
After some squinting, I had to admit, "I don't."   
Now I see it.


 3 June 2013


The Princeton alumni did their fine alma mater proud:




Jack and I had a reunion weekend of our own:  one of his college roommates, and one of mine, both of whom we've kept in touch with for 25 years now, came down from Boston.  Andrew is spending a week in New York City.  Chris stayed with us over the weekend.

On Saturday I took Chris and Jack, with Sean and Dale in tow, to Lambertville, where Phoenix Books is going out of business.  Three of the four owners are retiring. Every book is 50% off.  We all left with massive stacks.  Then we stuffed our faces and walked around.

In the evening I had to stop by the lab, which is how I got the Reunion pictures.  Chris had begged for a trip to the Princeton Record Exchange anyway; for having to deal with my juggling mouse brains, it was only fair that we brave the masses and walk across campus to Nassau Street to get her the music fix she so sorely needed.

Chris and I agreed that the descended orange hordes populated this sleepy place the way Penn would look on any given class day.  Quakers don't leave nearly as much trash as Tigers, apparently.

From Princeton we went to New Brunswick for Ethiopian food, another tradition that we've been keeping alive since we were sophomores.

Sunday we met Andrew on the Upper West Side for brunch.  Our plan was to continue north to the Cloisters, but signal problems on the A train line put an end to that.  Instead we took the subway all the way down to the Village.  We had no plan, and that was the best part.

We were standing on a corner, pondering which way to go next, when I looked right and said, "Is that water?"  It was the Hudson.  I had to go see it.  The Raritan flows into the Hudson, after all.  We left Jack in a wine shop and walked to the edge of the city.


Jersey City


 
Jersey City and Hoboken



2 comments:

Plain_Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Plain_Jim said...

REAL Quakers, I assure you, would leave less trash than that. Although you would have to put up with the too-earnest Trash Committee, and endless discussions on what to do with the trash, whether the generation of trash does better by providing employment to the trash-removers or should be minimized to leave less damage to the planet, and whether it is really trash at all.