Sunday, May 10, 2015

Gonzo's New Look and Other Miscellany

10 May 2015

This post is another catch-up photo dump.

First, the Delaware River at Yardley at 6:30 p.m. on May 1:


We went to Charcoal, a restaurant on the river, with a friend who'd come up from Philly.  Before getting to Yardley, we stopped at Wheelfine, where Michael banged out Gonzo's headset and bottom bracket (declaring the latter dead, which I'd kind of figured out already from the grinding) and said that the frame was still in good condition.  He said he could re-paint it after Labor Day, or I could take it to be powder-coated by a friend of his in Trenton, for a lot less money, and a lot sooner.


Mojo later that night:


Moxie getting comfy in the bathroom sink at the same time:


Our department had a retreat at the Molly Pitcher Inn in Red Bank on May 4 and 5.  I went for the day on May 4.  This is the view of the Navesink River from the inn:



There's a small park east of the inn, where a short boardwalk gets close to the river:



I carpooled to the retreat with one of the lab's post-docs.  On the way home I took her to Monmouth Battlefield:


On Wednesday, I took Gonzo's frame to Fred at Powtec in Trenton.  If you've ever been to Wheelfine, imagine the same organizational ethos, but coated in a layer of fine dust with very little in the way of lighting.  Nevertheless, Fred, who is as much of a talker as Michael is, had much to show me, and I settled on something with a touch more 'zazz than basic black.

The next day, in Jim's final bike maintenance class session, I finished taking Gonzo's rear wheel apart:



Friday morning I picked up the frame.  This is what it looks like from a few feet away in bright light:



It's called "City Lights," but I think it should be called "Stealth Retro," or "Cheap Nail Polish."



Here it is again, next to Kermit, under fluorescent light, without a flash:


And with a flash:


Yowza!  What have I done?  This fits my fleet's color scheme better than I'd ever thought it would. Wait'll I get everything put back together:  a red rear hub, red spoke nipples, a red stem accent, red cables, red bar tape.  I should spare you all and only take this bike out on cloudy days.


No comments: