Monday, September 14, 2026

Hill Slugs in Bar Harbor 14: Souvenir

Hitchhiker

14 September 2026

A few days ago, I noticed the remnants of a web on my car's passenger side view mirror. When I went to remove it Saturday morning, I noticed that it had been fully reconstructed. A pair of yellowish legs poked out from between the mirror and the car's frame.

I went back at night and took pictures of the spider in his web, and of his reflection in the mirror. The more I looked, the more worried I became.

I posted the photos to iNaturalist. My fears were confirmed.

While the car was parked at the Bar Harbor Inn, a young male Zygiella atrica found a home.


I'm glad it's a young male and not a gravid female. This one is not going to find a mate in my yard, or anywhere I drive. It does give me an excuse to make a road trip back to Maine as soon as possible, though.

No comments: